1. She calls me out of the blue to say really sweet things, like “boner.”
2. She knows how long to wait before asking for a bite of my food.
3. We always wear matching clothes. Sometimes it’s intentional, usually it’s accidental.
4. She always puts her criticism of me in compliment sandwiches. For example, when I asked for her opinion on a style question, she said, “It’s okay, I’m not in love. It’s edgy and kind of fun but also trashy and hot.”
5. She cries whenever we leave each other. And sometimes when we see each other for the first time in a while. And one time when she was supposed to be cracking my back…
6. She always drove me places when I didn’t have my license (for an unacceptably long amount of time) and never complained because she was happy to hang out with me.
7. Nothing is ever awkward between us. Even the things that should really be awkward.
8. She was my injury-spiration. In other words, we had the exact same injury that caused us both to stop doing gymnastics (she’ll tell you that I copied her, because, yes, what I really wanted was to get a stress fracture in my back).
9. She likes the same music as me (so we never have to fight over the radio in the car). If she doesn’t like it immediately she’ll listen to it again until she likes it.
10. She knows the right way to go shopping (i.e. finding things for yourself AND for each other, waiting until both people are ready to go to the dressing room, showing every piece of clothing unless you are literally not able to put it on your body, and then helping make decisions; it’s a process).
11. She knows which colors are “her” colors and which are “me” colors.
12. She has a sixth sense that tells her when I’m in need of coffee (although, thinking about it, maybe it’s just whenever she needs coffee since I always pay for it to make up for gas money… who knows?).
13. She was my date to Prom senior year.
14. She sends me thoughtful little presents out of the blue.
15. She cares just the right amount about what happened to our respective high school classmates (the right amount means remaining interested but not obsessed).
16. She loves the same movies as I do. When our favorite movies are on TV, I’ll call her to let her know and she’ll already be watching.
17. She imagines our futures together where our kids are best friends. Because that is obviously going to happen.
18. She’s perfectly happy spending an afternoon sitting in a cardboard box in her driveway, pretending to be in a boat, eating nachos with me.
19. She knows what I’m saying even when I’m yawning.
20. She knows she can’t express feelings for celebrities I already have dibs on (this seems very trivial, but we actually get very serious about it).
21. She knows that sleepovers call for matching jammies.
22. She wears the exact same size everything as me, which makes it really convenient when we want to share clothes (a.k.a. all the time).
23. She knows which bad habits of mine to encourage and which to put an end to (i.e. shopping excessively vs. obsessing over an ex).
24. If we’re on the phone and the call drops, we both know it’s for the best and she doesn’t call me back.
25. She has a collection of weird nicknames for me (like Goose Face).
26. We have multiple handshakes that we do pretty regularly. We stole most of them from TV shows or movies. No shame.
27. She was friends with me even when I looked like this:
28. One time we braided our hair together.
29. We can say “I love you” to each other and totally mean it.